Joy of joys, I got my new X6 in the mail. So I install, and right away I notice that my background is some dark blue and not the cheesy shade of chartreuse mandated by corporate policy that I had to set up in X5. To make matters worse, my posts and the spiffy tool library I painstakingly created are nowhere to be found!
Well, I learned a hard lesson the last time, so I know I can’t simply copy my X5 files and drop them into the X6 locations.
7 easy steps to follow during your migration from Mastercam X5 to Mastercam X6:
1) First ,I create a folder on the Desktop. I call it Migrate.
2) Then, I go to the C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx5\CNC_MACHINES. This is where my Machine and Control definitions are. I copy (make sure to copy, not move) any custom definitions I have from C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx5\CNC_MACHINES to Migrate.
3) Next, I go to the location of my post processors. They will be in folders based on the product type.
Mill posts in C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx5\Mill\Posts
Lathe posts in C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx5\Lathe\Posts
I’m sure you can guess where Router and Wire posts are located.
…Alright, I’ll tell you:
Router posts in C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx5\Router\Posts
Wire posts in C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx5\Wire\Posts
I notice a folder called Tools located under the same folder that Posts was in. In there I find my custom tool library and copy that to Migrate as well.
4) Now for the X6 part.
I open X6 and click on File and look down the options and finally see Update Folder. It’s right above Migration.
Migration. That’s what I want to do. Why not use that?
Well, because it doesn’t work. ‘Nuff said. Truth be told, it does work, somewhat. Anyway, Update Folder is the location you want to use.
5) I set up the dialog box like this:
6) Then I click the green check.
It shows me the log file from the post update and puts all the updated files in the Migrate folder.
7) All I need to do now is copy the mmd-6 and control-6 to C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx6\CNC_MACHINES. Notice it’s mcamx6 now. The posts go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx6\Mill\Posts and the tools-6 go to C:\Users\Public\Documents\shared mcamx5\Mill\Tools. Lathe, Router, Wire go to their respective locations.
I’m done. Now my posts are properly updated and located where they belong. Tune in Thursday, March 15 @ 10am for a webinar covering Mastercam Migration and Configuration Tips & Tricks if you want a little more guidance.
As always, please contact Prism Mastercam Support if you have questions or need assistance during this process.